Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Mai Yamane -- (You and Me Still Keep On) Fall In Love


One little tidbit that I got about Mai Yamane(山根麻衣)from a 1979 interview in "Myojo"(明星)via her J-Wiki article is that she and Mariya Takeuchi(竹内まりや)had apparently taken electone lessons together when they were kids.


On that note (no pun intended), I take you back to Yamane's City Pop/AOR days in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Here is the smooth and calming "(You and Me Still Keep On) Fall In Love", the B-side to her 7" single from 1981, "The 21' (Live to be Wild)". Written by Yamane and composed/arranged by Makoto Matsushita(松下誠), that combination of songwriters immediately had me taking notice.

And sure enough, "Fall In Love" does deliver the City Pop goods, gliding on a frictionless surface just as smoothly as Yamane's vocals. It's again one of those mellow ballads that would accompany an introspective stance on a high balcony over the city while the sun sets. Memories of Foster, Graydon and Temperton come to mind here.

The original single may still be around somewhere but I have heard that both "The 21'" and "Fall In Love" have been included on the remastered version of her 1985 album "Sorry".

7 comments:

  1. Hola! ¿De casualidad no conoces si existen partituras musicales de esta canción en especifico? Gracias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola!Danny. I'm sorry but I can't speak Spanish, so I hope you can translate this through Google. Unfortunately, I cannot find any websites that sell scores (partituras musicales) for "Fall in Love".

      Delete
  2. Do you have a photo you could post of the lyrics? I am having trouble understanding them and don't know if the ones online are correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jy. Unfortunately, I don't have the single for "Fall In Love" so I can't post any photo of the lyrics (the thumbnail photo above is that of the liner notes for her album "Tasogare").

      The only online form of the lyrics seems to be at "Lyrics Translate" so I assume that you were looking at those. I also tried to listen to the song a few times while looking at those lyrics and there were errors in the transcription. However, there were too many areas where she whispers or lisps the words so that I couldn't catch an accurate reading, I'm afraid.

      Delete
  3. 70 & 80s definitely the era. This track is really off the hook. I simply love the groove, rhythm guitar and the synth. Her voice is sublime. Amazing. EW&F That's the way of the world like groove. Thanks for the share, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. I took a listen to "(You and Me Still Keep On) Fall In Love" for the first time in a while, and it's still quite the magical City Pop song.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.