Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Miki Asakura -- Hip City


(excerpt only)

Just to echo some of the YouTube comments that I've seen for the cover of Miki Asakura's(麻倉未稀)"Hip City" (June 1983)...ah, yeah, I have to admit that when I first saw it in my bible of "Japanese City Pop", I wasn't quite sure if that was indeed a man or a woman tipping the hat in greeting. I mean, the kanji for the given name was indeed Miki which was usually for a woman's name, but still....

In any case, on seeing some of the other album covers for Asakura, I was quickly convinced that Miki was indeed a woman. For "Hip City", I am providing the title song which is also the first track for the album. It's another one of those melodic struts downtown as Asakura cordially invites with internally curling fingers all suitors into this wonderful metropolis. The funky strut gives way from time to time into something soaring and shiny just like the latest glass-and-steel skyscrapers.

The only other intrigue is the title itself. I realize that the meaning for "Hip City" in English is of course a cool and happening city. However, when I first saw the title in "Japanese City Pop", I had to scratch my head with some good humour since in Japanese, "hip" actually refers to one's butt. I could only imagine what Asakura's fans and/or potential buyers of "Hip City" were thinking initially at the time. Tip of the hat, indeed.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, this final article for 2019 is the 900th, thus smashing a record for being the most prolific year in "Kayo Kyoku Plus" history. Readers may be wondering why I was writing up 10 articles today on New Year's Eve. Now you know...just had to do it. Anyways, I would like to wish all of the readers, commenters and collaborators (Marcos, Larry, Joana, Noelle, and everyone else who has contributed this year) a very Happy New Year! See you in the new decade!🎊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.