Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Tomoko Koyano -- Kyo mo Kita wa(今日も来たわ)


The bonenkai season is in full swing for me. Had my year-end party with my fellow company translators earlier tonight on a very bitterly cold evening so I truly appreciated the hot dinner. I also ended up uttering something rather atypically impolitic but apparently hilarious due to the Danforth Blue and Brown Cow speaking on my behalf. The above picture is actually from last week's get-together at Kintaro downtown. Dang, those were good cheese-and-mochi skewers from the grill!


Following a pleasant night out, it's good to unwind a bit. So in my case, that would involve me putting up an article on a song that is relaxing by its very nature. I found this one by singer-songwriter Tomoko Koyano(古谷野とも子)through her final album "From Inside" (1979) titled "Kyo mo Kita wa" (Coming By Again Today). I mentioned this release when I first spoke about another track on "From Inside" a few years back called "Unuborenaide"(うぬぼれないで).

Well, I did get the album, and "Kyo mo Kita wa" is as soothing and laidback as a 1970s ballad can get as Koyano sings about a fellow who manages to keep on returning to the one he has feelings for, most likely a woman manning a dimly-lit fancy bar somewhere deep in the city on some mysterious side street. The keyboards are great especially the one responsible for the aural equivalent of a wind blowing off in the distance somewhere. Koyano was behind the words and music while Shigeru Suzuki(鈴木茂)arranged everything.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Canuck,

    This song has always reminded me of Yuming's 雨のステイション(Rainy Station) off her Cobalt Hour album. Not only the arrangements but the themes of the songs are also similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kaz. Indeed, it's very calming. I can also imagine a rainy day as "Kyo mo Kita wa" is playing.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.