Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, May 2, 2024

So Long, Duane Eddy (1938-2024) -- Peter Gunn

 

This isn't a Reminiscings of Youth article though that will be coming up soon enough. However, when I heard that Duane Eddy had passed away a few days ago, I felt like I needed to do some sort of tribute to the guitarist with his gift of twang. 

Now, I know that the musician originally from New York State has had his own string of hits over the decades, but when I hear the name Duane Eddy, I'm always going to think of one song: "Peter Gunn". The original Henry Mancini version with John Williams pounding on the keys was one of the first songs that I remember hearing and internalizing forever but it was when Art of Noise did their hit cover of the song in 1986 that I got to hear Eddy for the first time and that got me to his own solo cover of "Peter Gunn" in 1959.  In a way, it was Eddy's take with its more slithery rock n' roll vibe (including that sexy sax) compared to the Mancini swing jazziness that sounded even more dangerous and therefore more fitting in the world of detective Gunn.

Alongside Boz Scaggs' "Lowdown", I think "Peter Gunn" is the song to accompany you and your buddies if you're cruising down the nighttime streets of the city. My condolences to Eddy's family, friends and fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.