Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

TOKYO GIRLS' STYLE -- Partition Love


Probably the most talented, but also underrated, aidoru group of nowadays, TOKYO GIRLS’ STYLE (東京女子流) is always releasing well crafted pop songs with inspiration borrowed, the majority of times, from disco and funk.

This is not different with “Partition Love”, a groovy and catchy song about a girl who is in love with her teacher and also have to face competition from other girls at school (this teacher is on fire, you know). It’s by no means an innovative topic, but TOKYO GIRLS’ STYLE covered it with a very mature feel, in spite of the thematic. And with mature I’m talking about the singing, which gets better with each release. I just hope that these girls succeed in a near future, as they’re at a very young age yet (their age ranges from 15 to 17 years old). Keep pushing them, Avex, please.

I chose to include the live performance over the original PV to show how talented the girls are while singing with a live band at the Nippon Budoukan (live bands are a rare feature in today’s aidoru concerts, and so is becoming live singing). Also, if the new aidoru boom is considered overwhelming by some J-Pop listeners, TOKYO GIRLS’ STYLE, although part of this scene, is a very nice alternative to the over-the-top groups/artists like AKB48 and its sister groups, Momoiro Clover Z (ももいろクローバーZ) or Kyary Pamyu Pamyu (きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅ), even though this last one isn’t considered an aidoru per se.

“Partition Love”, which was released in February 2014, reached #9 on the Oricon charts, selling 16,805 copies. Lyrics and music were done by Yuusuke Koide (小出祐介), while Hiroshi Matsui (松井寛) and Hijikata Takayuki (土方隆行) were responsible for the arrangement.



2 comments:

  1. Hi, Marcos.

    I gotta say that I enjoyed this song quite a lot. I'd never heard of this group before last night, but I appreciate "Partition Love" for that disco-funk and perhaps a hint of old-style 70s/80s music in there. It reminds me of my favourite period of Morning Musume at the turn of the century.

    I'm sure there are other videos of "Partition Love" out there on YouTube, but I think the concert video of Tokyo Girls Style at the Budokan is just perfect because of that rather quirky choreography and the fades between cameras as the refrain comes in.

    Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J-Canuck.

      I'm glad you liked TOKYO GIRLS' STYLE. I keep following them since they debuted back in 2010, and I must say that their songs are very good. Also, you'd probably like "Limited addiction" and "Liar", both from 2011. Before "Partition Love" was released, they were my favourites from them.

      You know, that Budokan video is really nice. I also like the choreography very much. The original PV has a storyline to go with the song, but I almost always prefer live performances.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.