Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Suiyoubi no Campanella -- Himiko(卑弥呼)


Studying Japanese history was not my strong point. I did my fair bit of dozing off in lectures and I paid the price for my afternoon slumber in tests. However, there were some names that I do remember, one of them being Himiko who had been a shamaness-queen in ancient Japan although where her direct domain was situated has been of some academic debate.

I'm not sure whether the track "Himiko" on Suiyoubi no Campanella's(水曜日のカンパネラ)first digital download album "Neon"(ネオン)from May 2022 illuminates the historical perspective any further, but vocalist Utaha(詩羽)and company sweetly and technologically have listeners imagine the ruler as a contemporary weather forecaster for Japan. Well, I figure that since Himiko was a shamaness, weather forecasting was a part of her duties back then, too, although I'm not sure if she ever focused on the cute animal of the day or foodie photos.

Fair warning though that some of the above video has some rapidly flashing images. I'd probably want to view this in a well-lit room.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/A4xcY6ZB2RQ

2 comments:

  1. Fireminer here. Thanks for the introduction to the song. This is the second Japanese song I know that plays with the concept of a news program. The first is a Vocaloid song called News 39.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure here. If you want to hear another song with that concept of an early morning weather program, try Especia's "Kurukana" (くるかな). Marcos wrote the article and it's a winner for the former aidoru group's love letter to 80s music.

      https://kayokyokuplus.blogspot.com/2014/06/especia-kurukana.html

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.