Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Nobuo Ariga -- Kimi no Kanashimi wo Kikasete yo(君の悲しみを聞かせてよ)

 

Unfortunately, today's round of KKP will begin with the announcement of another passing in the Japanese music industry. I found out through the Mixi news feed last night stating that singer-songwriter and bassist Nobuo Ariga(有賀啓雄)had died on February 27th this year from prostate cancer at the age of 58. Ariga had been involved with a number of bands including VIZION and SANISAI as well as providing support for many other artists ranging from Kome Kome Club(米米CLUB)to Kazumasa Oda(小田和正)to Misato Watanabe(渡辺美里).

Ariga was someone that I would never have heard about if it hadn't been for KKP contributor nikala's January 2014 article on his heady "Rain Dolphin". And although I had put up Masayuki Suzuki & Momoko Kikuchi's(鈴木雅之・菊池桃子)"Shibuya de Go-ji"  (渋谷で5時)many months earlier, I eventually realized that the bassist had arranged one remix version of the 90s City Pop classic. He belongs to that 90% of the iceberg that's underwater when it comes to the unsung folks in the music industry, people that I have been grateful in encountering over the years of this blog.

I have here Ariga's own 6th out of 7 singles, "Kimi no Kanashimi no Kikasete yo" (Let Me Know Your Sadness) which was released in February 1993. Written and composed by him, it's a bouncy and upbeat tune with no small amount of Burt Bacharach influence although I wouldn't consider it Shibuya-kei. I've come to realize that there is something quite interesting about Ariga's relatively high and nasal vocals.

My condolences to Ariga's family, friends and fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.