Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

SOAP -- Balcony Party(バルコニー・パーティー)

From ABLE
 

OK, first, my apologies to my old real estate agency Able for using one of their photos but I never got to take a photo of my balcony in my humble Ichikawa apartment and this is what it looked like although I don't think it's my exact apartment; probably one on the other floors. Besides, why would I have wanted to take a shot of my very narrow balcony back then? It was so narrow and it was merely the place for the washing machine and the futon to air out on. Couldn't have had any party there and even my modest abode at 269 square feet/25 square metres was a bit of a struggle to have any sort of soiree, although in my early days, I managed to pack 20 people in the living room for a hot pot party!

Regardless, allow me to present this very cheerful song by the vocal group SOAP. It hails from their 1981 album "Harmotopia" which also includes the other two songs that I've posted by them: "Shinjuku Transfer"(新宿トランスファー)and "Roommate"(ルームメイト). The mellow and fun "Balcony Party" straddles the line between City Pop and regular pop with some good ol' tropical in there, and of course, there are the heavenly vocals by all involved. Written by Keisuke Yamakawa(山川啓介)and composed by SOAP member Takanori Arisawa(有澤孝紀), the song feels like it's taking place on a balcony of an apartment that is far more expensive and bigger and luxurious than anything possible in my old building. Basically any party on SOAP's property has the indoor and outdoor stages or it's actually happening on the Lido Deck of a huge cruise liner.

Also, from my memories, whenever anyone wanted to go smoke while at my apartment for a party had to do so out on the external corridor outside of my place or in the tiny kitchen under the vent hood. Hey, but let me finish this off with the video below of properly party-friendly balconies in Tokyo. Maybe you can even play "Balcony Party" while watching the video below on mute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.