Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Toko Okabe -- Snow Candle no Yoru(スノー・キャンドルの夜)

 

Singer-songwriter Toko Okabe(岡部東子)may not have become a word in every household but I've liked what I have heard so far. Back in 2021, I posted a couple of articles regarding her music through the Xmas tune "Kata ni Fureta Christmas Eve"(肩にふれたクリスマス・イヴ)from her 1988 debut album "Amnesia" and "Vacancy", the first track from her second album "Stay the Sun" from 1989.

Recently, I was able to find this other track from "Stay the Sun" titled "Snow Candle no Yoru" (Snow Candle Night). Written and composed by Okabe herself, despite the title, it's not really a Christmas tune per se although I think the romance is still plenty imbued in there. The notable thing for me though is the arrangement by Kenichi Mitsuta(光田健一)with the strings and classy piano which brought all sorts of Fashion Music thoughts to my head. I kinda assumed that Fashion Music had been more of a late 70s/early 80s phase. What also adds to it is Okabe's vocals which automatically had me thinking of Chicaco Sawada(沢田知可子)and post-City Pop Yurie Kokubu(国分友里恵). Just wanna cuddle up in a warm blanket with a hot mug of cocoa.☕

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.