Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, July 18, 2024

Freeez -- I.O.U./Southern Freeez

 

Back in the (relatively) innocent 1980s, the afternoon segment of the TV spectrum here in Toronto was often filled with different music video shows. There was one such show on MTV...and no, I'm not referring to the famous music channel in the United States but the multicultural local one here, and for some reason, it semi-specialized in some of the more obscure acts and if the host liked them, they got heavy rotation. 

I don't recall seeing the group Freeez on any of the other shows but for the MTV program, it was pretty much a semi-regular and that was through its June 1983 single "I.O.U.". How many times did I see all that New York hip-hop culture being played out by the kids in the schoolyard in the video? Ironically, "I.O.U" was more of an electro-funk song by this duo who actually came from the UK rather than the US but it did make its mark on several world music charts. It did rather modestly in Canada, only hitting No. 38 here while in America, it reached No. 1 on Billboard's Dance/Disco chart. It also hit the top spot in Iceland (I guess when the band is called Freeez...😅). But getting back to the song, listening to it once more after a long while, I did get my memories of breakdancing and 80s funk into my head again.


Now, I've been aware that bands can undergo stylistic changes over the years and I only found out a couple of days ago that Freeez had been more of a jazz funk group originating in 1978. And I have to admit that I was immediately hooked by their January 1981 debut single "Southern Freeez". According to its Wikipedia article, the title was allegedly formed from a dance move called The Freeze used by folks at The Royalty dance club in Southgate, London. As the years went by, "Southern Freeez" got its fair share of remixes and listening to the original song, I can imagine it being a hit in the early 1990s club scene. There is also something slightly Chaz Jankel about it.

So, what were the Top 3 of Oricon in June 1983?

1. Hiroko Yakushimaru -- Tantei Monogatari (探偵物語)


2. Rats & Star -- Me Gumi no Hito (め組のひと)


3. Akina Nakamori -- Twilight - Yugure Dayori (トワイライト -夕暮れ便り-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.