Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, July 26, 2024

Kimiko Kasai -- I Wish That Love Would Last

 

Although I don't own Kimiko Kasai's(笠井紀美子)album "Kimiko" from 1982, I've got a feeling from the couple of tracks that I've heard so far that for 80s jazz/fusion/soul fans who are just dipping their toes into the City Pop pool in Japan, this may be the perfect album. Case in point: the subject of this article, "I Wish That Love Would Last".

Created by Allee Willis and David Lasley, this song is so mellow, creamy and groovy that melted caramel would turn green with envy (and I really would avoid green caramel). "I Wish That Love Would Last" sounds perfect for radio airplay since I think it possesses those qualities which can place it within the areas of Quiet Storm and slow jams (which might be the same thing, but please correct me). Along with Kasai's caressing vocals, there are some pretty big names in the studio including Randy Waldman on the keyboards, Jimmy Johnson on bass and Paul Jackson Jr. on the guitar.

The other track on "Kimiko" that I was referring to is "The Right Place" which begins the album. That one is more uptempo and has me thinking George Benson and the Manhattan Transfer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.