Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, July 12, 2024

The Square -- Mr. Coco's One

 

Ahh...James Coco (1930-1987). He's another blast from the past that I used to see fairly regularly as a stage-and-screen comedic actor. I saw him only on television though in various commercials and TV shows such as "The Love Boat" and the above "The Muppet Show"

Yup, he was the fellow that I envisaged when I first heard "Mr. Coco's One", the first track on The Square's "Make Me a Star", the fusion band's 3rd album which came out in June 1979. Composed by band guitarist Masahiro Ando(安藤正容), it's a really funky strut down the pavement (and you bass addicts will especially love the early part of this 7-minute-plus tune). It not only conjures up some of that good ol' jazz-AOR feeling from back then, but...and forgive me for going a bit music sommelier here...I can also hear a bit of "Law & Order" and certain parts which could have become cool television theme tunes at around that very time for people such as the late James Coco who also did dabble a little bit into sitcoms. However, I have no idea how Ando came up with that particular title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.