Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Toshimi Tagawa -- Kanashii Meguriai(悲しいめぐり逢い)

 

Enka singer Toshimi Tagawa(田川寿美)has been a regular presence on the kayo kyoku-based programs such as "Uta Con"(うたコン)and "Shin BS Nihon no Uta"(新・BS日本のうた), and yet I'm a little embarrassed to state that she's only appeared on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" in just a couple of songs, neither of which has her on the byline. Well, it's time for me to eradicate that glaring omission.

Interestingly enough, I saw her sing her latest single "Kanashii Meguriai" (Sad Encounter) from May 2024 on the latter NHK show, and I wouldn't say that it was purely an enka tune. I would place it in that hybridized genre that I've called New Adult Music since there's quite a bit of soul in there to the extent that I had also considered City Pop in its roots. The urbane melody by Kohei Miyuki(幸耕平)under the arrangement of Masayuki Sakamoto(坂本昌之)even had me thinking that it could almost be something that the God of Love Songs, Masayuki Suzuki(鈴木雅之), would possibly tackle. Daizo Saito(さいとう大三)handled the lyrics.

"Kanashii Meguriai" is the 38th of her singles in a career that began in 1992 for the Wakayama Prefecture-born singer. Tagawa has also put out eight studio albums along with other releases. 

(short version)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.