Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Makoto Saito -- Someday Somewhere


Happy Monday, folks! For those who have read my quasi-weather reports here on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" in some of the articles and for those who have some interest in my hometown of Toronto, Canada, The Big Smoke or The 6ix must seem like a meteorologically fantastical place where the weather can change on a dime.

Well, it's not exactly on a dime, but after going through one last spate of summer last week in which the Humidex hit about 35 degrees Celsius, we in Toronto will be heading toward a deep freeze...at least temporarily in the latter part of this week, and...shudder...there may even be some snow flurries in the forecast. As I've always said to my students back in Japan, Toronto's weather is predictably unpredictable. Halloween ought to be interesting, then.


Let's start off the week with something nice and mellow...perhaps like a hot chocolate. Singer-songwriter Makoto Saito(斎藤誠)is just the man, and I found this song titled "Someday Somewhere" recently. From his 3rd album "PARADISE A GO! GO!" released in April 1985, it's a wistful number by the singer about deeply missing that special someone while he/she is off somewhere on a trip...perhaps after having said something along the lines of "I think we need to take a break from our relationship...for a while, at least". I'm kinda rooting for the protagonist of the song so that the break heals eventually.

Perhaps it's merely me, but when I hear "Someday Somewhere", I get the feeling that it sounds a bit more contemporary than its original 1985 release date. Maybe this might be one of those timeless pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.