Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Off-Course -- Omae mo Hitori(おまえもひとり)


If I'm not mistaken, my collection of Off-Course(オフコース)CDs consists of their BEST compilations at this point which is a pity, especially when I consider the song here.


"Omae mo Hitori" (You're Alone As Well) is a track from Off-Course's "We are" album from November 1980, and like its trackmate, "Yes-No", it's one pretty cool dude of a pop song although I don't think I would place it as a City Pop tune per se. "Yes-No" was written and composed by Kazumasa Oda(小田和正), but for "Omae mo Hitori", it's Off-Course guitarist Yasuhiro Suzuki(鈴木康博)taking care of things with bassist Hitoshi Shimizu(清水仁)also working on the lyrics.


As is often the case with an Off-Course song, "Omae mo Hitori" is a case of love gone wrong where a boyfriend is psyching/chastising himself to do what he thinks must be done and break things off with his soon-to-be ex-girlfriend. The overall beat seems to imply that determined walk from home to wherever she is waiting for him. I gotta admit that the guitar play before the refrain is very kakkoii.

"Omae mo Hitori" wasn't an official single but the album "We are" hit No. 1 on Oricon and became the 6th-ranked album of 1981. The album also earned Best Album honours at the Japan Record Awards in that year. I think that I will need to break that habit of merely getting BEST compilations of the band and actually get a studio album by Off-Course, starting with "We are".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.