Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Katsuhiko Nakagawa -- Ryusenjou de(流線上で)

 

A couple of hours ago, I wrote up a Shoko Nakagawa(中川翔子)article so I decided that it was time to also write about her father, the late Katsuhiko Nakagawa(中川勝彦)who was also a singer and a TV personality along with being an actor, a musician and a seiyuu.

(30-second excerpt)

I don't know as much about Katsuhiko Nakagawa as I do his daughter but he was born in 1962 in Tokyo's Bunkyo Ward and made his debut in 1980 halfway during time as a Keio University student. His J-Wiki biography indicates that he may have been one of the first visual-kei rock pioneers, and I consider Kenji Sawada(沢田研二)to have had some influence on that genre as well.

For Nakagawa's first article on "Kayo Kyoku Plus", I found "Ryusenjou de" (On the Streamline) which is a track on his February 1984 debut album "Shitemitai"(してみたい...Wanna Give it a Try). Written by poet, essayist and lyricist Natsuo Giniro(銀色夏生)and composed by Toshio Kamei(亀井登志夫), "Ryusenjou de" seems to be about a song of longing for that lost love but when I hear that melody which includes an oboe, I can easily imagine Nakagawa sporting a very New Wave-y foppish outfit and attitude. There just seems to be an air of British pop from that period of time in the arrangement.

I have to admit that listening to Nakagawa's vocals took some getting used to. It is a very affected way of singing that I realize rather fits that somewhat foppish manner, and as such, has me thinking of Sawada during that same time. Dropping into analogy, I would compare it with entering a pretty hot onsen and having to gingerly enter the steaming waters before finally soaking and feeling at ease. Also with the arrangement and again with Nakagawa's singing, I also get some Ippu-Do vibes but without the synthesizers.

As his Wikipedia article states, Nakagawa released 10 singles and 9 albums including a posthumously released album in October 1995. He had passed away at the age of 32 on September 17, 1994 due to leukemia.

2 comments:

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.