Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, May 28, 2021

Shigeru Suzuki -- Bad Dream

 

Oh, those wonderfully sunny warm days of summer with folks basking out in the park and the air conditioners were on full blast. It just seems like a few days ago...

WAIT A MINUTE! 😖 It was just a few days ago. 31 degrees Celsius with a Humidex in the low 30s and I was sweltering in my room writing articles for the blog.🌞 Today? It's 3 degrees Celsius with a wind chill factor and I was just told that there were sprinkles of snow falling down from the sky!⛄ Just another day in May in Southern Ontario! Yes, I do remember that I did make some mention of the weather in the first article for yesterday's blog entries but little did I figure that it would come to this.

For all of those sun worshippers in my province out there, this must all sound like a bad dream.

And we make this obvious segue into "Bad Dream", a track from Shigeru Suzuki's(鈴木茂)September 1979 album "Cosmos' 51". Suzuki was responsible for the music here while his old Happy End bandmate, Takashi Matsumoto(松本隆), took care of the lyrics, and if indeed this is the first track that I've covered from this particular Suzuki album, then it's an intriguing one to start with. For one thing, Suzuki's melody has got me thinking of a couple of Billy Joel's songs from around the same time period: "The Stranger" and "Movin' Out".

Tower Records has described "Cosmos' 51" as an album containing some refined songwriting accompanied by the sophisticated light n' mellow vocals of Suzuki. Although he has been seen as one of the City Pop pioneers, there isn't any direct reference to the album being a purely City Pop release but I think something like "Bad Dream" can kinda straddle the line between that umbrella genre and straight-on pop.

As for right now, I'll just whip up some hot chocolate.☕

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.