Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, May 31, 2021

Yuko Sugita -- Surfing Musume(サーフィン娘)

 

I'm not sure what the status of surfing is anywhere around the globe right now, but I'm hoping that enthusiasts will be able to hang ten again sometime in the near future. Never thought once about taking up that pastime because physics will be brutal toward me.

Ahem...anyways, I've got a nice slice of Margaritaville here with singer-songwriter Yuko Sugita's(杉田優子)"Surfing Musume" (Surfing Girl). This was a track from Sugita's 2nd album "American Comics"  and indeed it was written and composed by the singer. With arrangements by Shigeru Suzuki(鈴木茂), I'd probably say that this winning song is more on the gentle AOR side when compared with its track mate "Maryoku"(魔力)that I wrote about last year.

Now that we are on the cusp of June and therefore the summer months, "Surfing Musume" is appropriately summery and breezy. The addition of what sounds like a mandolin might also bring the song into that category of exotic kayo, a Japanese pop subgenre that was fairly popular in the late 1970s and probably had folks wanting to grab their ANA or JAL tickets as soon as possible. Again, I hope that surfing is having its fun somewhere. Maybe I'll check with JTM on how things are since he's out in Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.