Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, June 9, 2022

Anita Baker -- Giving You the Best That I Got

 

The other day, I wrote the article "Well, If You Like Quiet Storm..." to provide some of those Japanese songs that I personally felt reflected the elegance and groove of the Quiet Storm sub-genre that artists ranging from Smokey Robinson to Silk Sonic lovingly brought to our ears. This week's Reminiscings of Youth features one of those songs.

If there were a queen to represent Quiet Storm, I would definitely vouch for Anita Baker. Being a fan of hers ever since I was awestruck by her "Sweet Love" on the radio back in 1986, and since that fateful aural encounter, I've ended up buying most of her albums including a BEST compilation. So you can imagine way back when, when I found out that Baker was about to release a big single and album in 1988, both with the identical title of "Giving You the Best That I Got", how giddy I was feeling.

And most definitely, I wasn't let down at all. I bought the album on compact disc, but the single was released in September 1988, and "Giving You the Best That I Got" hit my ears once more as so smooth and velvety and sophisticated that I felt like making a reservation at the city's most expensive restaurant just for myself (one look at my bank account brought good sense back to my head). I've been reading a lot of the comments for the many YouTube videos that have featured the song, and it has come across as one of those ultimate romance tunes that can only be served on the finest bone china and crisp white linen.

Baker so owns this song that I couldn't quite believe it when I was reading the Wikipedia article for it and found out that songwriter Skip Scarborough, who created it alongside Baker and Randy Holland, had first offered "Giving You the Best That I Got" to other singers. Happily, the right singer got the right song. Not surprisingly, it was nominated for the following Grammys: Best R&B Vocal Performance (Female), Best R&B Song, Record of the Year and Song of the Year, and it won the first two. I was also reading the recording players for the song, and it turns out that three of them have worked with Japanese acts from whom I've seen in many an album's liner notes: bassist Nathan East, percussionist Paulinho da Costa and singer Valerie Pinkston Mayo. The song hit No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100.

As usual, I must ask about what the Top 3 songs on Oricon were for September 1988.

1. Otokogumi -- DAYBREAK


2. Shizuka Kudo -- Mugon Iroppoi (MUGO・ん 色っぽい)


3. Seiko Matsuda -- Tabitachi wa Freesia(旅立ちはフリージア)

I will finish this with one of Starfleet's finest engineers. It's not exactly a verbatim reading of the subject of this article, but she'll do fine.

2 comments:

  1. Its has been forever J!!!

    I got too busy and just got around to checking back again here. You have been busy! :)

    But I saw Otokogumi, so I had to leave a comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Yuie-chan. Good to hear from you again. Yeah, it's been business and fun as usual here on the blog. I'm happy to say that this won't be changing anytime soon.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.