Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, June 13, 2022

capsule -- more more more

 

The above is the box of unajuu (broiled eel on rice) that I had back at Unakko, an eel restaurant located in the traditional Koedo quarter of Kawagoe City in Saitama Prefecture. It's definitely one of the dishes that I've missed since leaving Japan. I mean, I can get something like that here in the izakaya in Toronto, but there's something about getting it in the home country. Unajuu is a dish that I can always get more of.

Nope, it wasn't the smoothest segue but I did want to showcase "more more more", the title track from capsule's "MORE! MORE! MORE!", their November 2008 album. I've just recently begun exploring Yasutaka Nakata(中田ヤスタカ)and Toshiko Koshijima's(こしじまとしこ)foray into the hard synthesizers and electronics, and with this album, it's been officially categorized on J-Wiki as Electro. Not quite if there is a major difference between that genre and technopop, but I gather that it's more about the harder sounds and the vocoder when it comes to the former. Written and composed by Nakata, it's indeed a far distance from their earlier Shibuya-kei days.

I'd just written about Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's(きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅ)"DODONPA" yesterday from 2021 with its mesmerizing video of psychedelic colours and dancing letters. Nakata created that song as well, and there is also a "more more more" video with plenty of light and colours flashing across the screen, but it's not so much letters but geometric shapes doing their boogying. The album reached No. 6 on Oricon.

2 comments:

  1. That photo makes me feel hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for saying that. I can use some unajuu right now.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.