Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Etsuko Yakushimaru -- Zettai Monsieur Sei (絶対ムッシュ制)


I've got my copy of Etsuko Yakushimaru's(やくしまるえつこ)"X-Jigen e Yokoso"(X次元へようこそ), the trippy ending theme for anime "Space Dandy", and I've had it on fairly heavy rotation which means that I've also been listening to its just-as-trippy coupling song, "Zettai Monsieur Sei" (An Absolute Monsieur System) from January 2014. The single managed to peak at No. 30 on Oricon.

No idea about what Yakushimaru's title (or the lyrics, for that matter) is all about, but it's got a pretty good beat, and it brings in a fair mix of genres such as rock and techno...perhaps some funk as well. And I really like those drums. Plus that little toodling on the synth during the intro had me thinking of a revved-up version of some traditional bushi dancing. In any case, it's a bit more of the singer in "night" mode.

I guess when it comes to the enigmatic Yakushimaru, anything is possible in her music, and that's all right by me. I'm not sure whether she had anything to do with the official short-form video above, but it had me wondering if the director had been imagining a bad dream by Albert Einstein after he had one too many burritos in the patent office.

(instrumental only)

If "Space Dandy" decides to come back on-screen, I wouldn't mind having Yakushimaru come back and do another theme...along with Yasuyuki Okamura(岡村靖幸). Heck, I will have everyone who did the music for that show back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.