Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, January 13, 2020

Akemi Ishii -- You Make Me Happy


Happy Monday! I've got another delayed shipment of CDs and there's supposed to be one more coming in tomorrow. Therefore the stereo will be fairly busy for the next several days; I know that my mailman has.


But none of them include Akemi Ishii's(石井明美)"Mona Lisa", her debut album from November 1986, which is a pity since it has her most famous "Cha-Cha-Cha" and this particular track, "You Make Me Happy", which indeed does make me happy since it is the first time I've heard it.

There is of course the City Pop aspect but if I can go into the nitty-gritty, there is that harmonious background chorus with Ishii that I enjoy as well. I've heard it in Junko Yagami's(八神純子)"Jealousy" (1983) and Junko Ohashi's(大橋純子"Nemurenai Diamond"(眠れないダイヤモンド)from 1988, and the early 80s release of Yagami's song aside, the way that certain chorus sounds always has me reminisce about the classy champagne sounds of late 80s City Pop.

My compliments go to lyricist Yoko Aki(阿木燿子and composer Kyohei Tsutsumi(筒美京平for this melodic and dreamy night out on the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.