Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, January 10, 2020

Toshiko Akiyoshi -- So What?


One of the many flaws that I have is that I often get a little too carried away with my YouTube browsing to the extent that the video sharing service should be called Mine-Mine-MineTube instead. I simply get overly fixated on watching a series of videos, and last night, that fixation was the old American TV game show "What's My Line?".

"What's My Line?" was a long-running show and in fact, it's probably one of the longest-running game shows in American history that ran for the first time (revivals were tried out later on) between 1950 and 1967. One of my Facebook pals asked me in shock and horror point blank how old (or ancient) I really was considering that I distinctly remember that first run, but it was only within the last couple of years of the show that I was existent on this Earth. However, I do remember the format and panelists like Arlene Francis and Kitty Carlisle. Apparently, though, going through a number of the episodes on YouTube, perhaps the most famous and sharpest panelist to ever grace "What's My Line?", journalist Dorothy Kilgallen passed away only a few weeks after my birth. This caused a special episode to be aired where the atmosphere was not surprisingly very sad.

The same situation had occurred several years earlier in the show's run when another popular panelist, comedian Fred Allen, died suddenly from a heart attack in 1956. Moderator John Charles Daly and the rest of the panel were devastated to say the least, but from Allen's widow's request, "What's My Line?" went on as scheduled. Still, although the guests came on with their usual self-effacing grace, it must have been a somewhat awkward experience considering the circumstances, but Daly and everybody welcomed everyone with the same level of grace.

At 19:00 of the above video for the March 18th 1956 episode, one of those guests came on in Japanese dress and signed her name in kanji which got some amusement from the audience (I'm sure it was all planned for the mystery), and that person was a 26-year-old jazz pianist named Toshiko Akiyoshi(穐吉敏子)to my surprise. And to provide some of my proud Canadiana here, she had been discovered in Tokyo by Canada's own Oscar Peterson.


Following this particular "What's My Line?" episode, my initial thoughts had been to write about another tune by wonderful J-R&B singer Monday Michiru, the daughter of Akiyoshi. But then, I gave myself a Gibbs slap upside my head and said "Wait a minute!". I've got quite a few jazz singers and musicians represented here on the blog, so why not have Akiyoshi in here as well?

Well, I took a look around....and yep, this was after a shower and all those "What's My Line?" episodes past midnight. I eventually encountered her 1961 album "Toshiko Meets Her Old Pals", and from it, I've decided to go with her quintet's cover of Miles Davis' "So What?" originally recorded in 1959. Aside from Akiyoshi, the only other recognizable figure in the group of five was legendary saxophonist Sadao Watanabe(渡辺貞夫).

From reading some of the comments for her take on "So What?", which seems to be a plaintive demand from the wood bass to be let into the conversation among the more notable instruments (kinda like a little brother trying to get in on the action with his big brother and his buddies, much to their eye-rolling chagrin), Akiyoshi has gotten a lot of praise but also some bricks for her cover, and to be honest, it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to upstage Davis. However, as I'm creating this, I'm playing "So What?", and it's given my typing a nice little skip-beat. Furthermore, considering that of all of the instruments used in jazz, it's the bass that I remember first hearing thumping away as a toddler so it's nice to get the instrument get its due here, although I'm also appreciating that sax solo.


Gotta say, though. The original "So What?" by Davis is so cool that it feels like I've been given this secret invitation to a secret jazz club in Manhattan to hear this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.