Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, January 3, 2020

Tomoko Aran -- Taxi Driver


The Holidays are over. Let's shake off some of the post-Holiday stupor with a bit of danceable City Pop here.


My last article regarding singer-songwriter Tomoko Aran(亜蘭知子)was "Busy City" from her "Imitation Lonely" album of 1985, and I've got another one from it called "Taxi Driver".

Unlike "Busy City" which I had heard for the first time only relatively recently, "Taxi Driver" is a tune that I've heard a few times before but for some reason never got around to writing about. That's my bad since "Taxi Driver" is quite the catchy City Pop tune with some great percussion leading the way while Aran's vocals smoothly fly over the streets.

This would be the kind of tune that would be nice to hear in a taxi while anywhere within the Shuto Expressway system of Tokyo...basically the footage that Van Paugam used to display on his old YouTube radio before it got tragically cut down several months ago. To be honest, though, I don't know of too many cab drivers who would be listening to City Pop radio...the ones that I've traveled on usually had the baseball game or the news on. So, have your own portable stereo system on in your ears when you take the cab to your hotel from Haneda Airport. You probably won't regret it.

I've got an impression that "Taxi Driver" has been covered by other City Pop singers, but for the life of me, I can't really remember who. Could it be Yuiko Tsubokura(坪倉唯子)or Yurie Kokubu(国分友里恵)? Perhaps I'm just imagining things. Anyways, while Aran provided lyrics, Casiopea drummer Akira Jimbo(神保彰)took care of the pulsating melody.

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right about your assumption. Check out track no. 5 from Yuiko's album "Loving You". :)

    By the way, when I stumbled upon catchy 80's song "Shy Boys" by Ana, I immediately knew that I've heard somewhere this opening. And I was right - check out "Off Limits" by Momoko Kikuchi ;) (B-side song from single "ガラスの草原").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much there. I just listened to Yuiko's scintillating cover, and it's more on the high-life languid and groovy side of things. Kinda like having that date in Akasaka!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.