Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, January 20, 2020

Kenjiro Sakiya -- Nijuu-go-ji no Arashi(25:00の嵐)


Getting that request from commenter Gyo the other day for the lyrics for one of the songs from singer-songwriter Kenjiro Sakiya's(崎谷健次郎)BEST collection, I figured that it was time to give the album another spin. Sure enough, I found another song from the compilation that I hadn't covered there or separately.


That would be "Nijuu-go-ji no Arashi" (Storm at 1:00 am), a pretty uptempo City Pop tune of the 1990s considering the lateness of the hour indicated in the title. Written by Goro Matsui(松井五郎)and composed by Sakiya, the song was originally a track on his April 1991 album "Ambivalence", but unlike that particular title, there isn't anything ambivalent with "Nijuu-go-ji no Arashi" in terms of how much the protagonist loves his romantic partner during a very late-night storm outside.

Strangely enough, the overall melody reminds me of a much more languid version of an old Bananarama song, "I Heard A Rumour", so I wonder if there's even some Eurobeat in this one. In addition, I still marvel at the similarities between Sakiya's delivery and the vocals of Noriyuki Makihara(槇原敬之)who was starting to make it big that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.