Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, January 24, 2020

Masaki Matsubara -- Tequila Toast



Although I didn't mention it in session guitarist Masaki Matsubara's(松原正樹)first article dedicated to him a few years back and may have stated it in one of the other articles where he helped compose or arrange a song for another singer, I think that I should cite that one of the most prolific instrumentalists in Japanese music had passed away back in February 2016 at the age of 61.

I have his second article here, though, and it's also a song from his 4th album from November 1983, "Painted Woman". "Tequila Toast" is an instrumental track which has quite the funky beat supporting it but there is also a light and whimsical layer consisting of horns and flute. In between, Matsubara goes in and out with his guitar like that ever-present neighbour making the rounds in his area looking in on the residents. But since we have that title there, I can also imagine that the naïve and innocent young imbiber of horns and flute is also covering up the raucous guitar-wailing state of his insides as the tequila (maybe not 100% pure) is coursing through his mouth, throat and digestive tract.

From personal experience, I give tequila a lot of respect. That one time I didn't, I was indeed toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.