Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, January 31, 2020

Minnie -- Like A Rainbow


(32:29)

Golly....I guess that in addition to the Doobie Bounce and the Steely Dan secret sauce chords, City Pop songwriters must have really liked the groovy intro to Whitney Houston and Jermaine Jackson's "Take Good Care of My Heart" since I think it's popped up in at least two other songs, "Eien no Morning Moon"(永遠のモーニング・ムーン)and "Lonely Chaplin"(ロンリーチャップリン), along with this tune. I mean, if this groove were personified, it would be someone cool and urbane striding to his/her favourite bar in West Shinjuku or Roppongi with a purpose; generally happy, of course, but with a purpose.

As for this song, I've seen the thumbnail photo a number of times on YouTube but it wasn't until earlier tonight when it popped up on New J Channel that I got dang interested. Yep, you got it. I do love this particular groovy intro...it's like my Brown Cow...or that occasional (really) can of Pringles. In this case, this is "Like A Rainbow" by singer Minnie, who I thought was actually someone from abroad with a good handle of the Japanese language, but actually is from Hokkaido according to Meguru Records. And that's basically all the information that I could find about her. However, I gotta say that I like her vocals which remind me a bit of Reimy's(麗美)delivery later in her career.

From JASRAC and the image of that 7-inch single of "Like A Rainbow", I could find out that Osny Melo, Fumiko Hiratsuka(平塚文子)and Stephen Pashley worked on the lyrics with Melo and Pashley also handling the melody. Yuji Toriyama(鳥山雄司)arranged everything into this soulful city number that takes more of a tangent away from "Take Good Care of My Heart" than the other two songs.

Anyways, give all three a shot and make your comparisons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.