Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Haruko Kuwana -- Soshite Denwa no Bell wa(そして電話のベルは)



I like what I hear...I will support the artist. But not immediately since I basically went nuts on my spending on Japanese albums over the Holidays.

However, I do like Haruko Kuwana's(桑名晴子)"Soshite Denwa no Bell wa" (Then The Phone...), and so maybe sometime later this year, I may try to get the source album "Show me your smile" from May 1979. The song was also her 4th single released at the same time, and it's got that party hearty mood with some captivating Latin rumbling through the arrangement. Kuwana certainly sounds like she's enjoying herself; maybe there were some libations passed around during recording.

The singer did come up with the music while Machiko Ryu(竜真知子)provided the lyrics. Altogether, "Soshite Denwa no Bell wa" is one of those City Pop concoctions that has made me wonder what life in Roppongi and Shinjuku were like during those economically heady days. Yes, I realize that I was in Tokyo in the summer of 1981, but I don't recall ever being in those two happening neighbourhoods at the time (well, at our age, our teacher would have been severely reprimanded if she had let us go to those places).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.