Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Harumi Tsuyuzaki -- Time/End of Eternity

 


If I'm not mistaken, the above was taken in front of the Shinjuku Hilton Hotel when I was in Tokyo the last time in 2017. It was early November but I gather that the management didn't hesitate to put up the Xmas illumination. Years ago, my friend took me to the main floor café for an all-you-can-eat dessert buffet (as endangered as those are now) that I believe occurred on Thursday afternoons. Among other delights, I had my fill of really good bread pudding with raisins there.

Good times those. Anyways, to get back on track, I've found R&B chanteuse Harumi Tsuyuzaki's(露崎春女)debut single from October 1995, "Time". Tsuyuzaki wrote and composed the song with Robert Etoll, and it's quite the start to her career with that voice and some of that 90s soul. I also appreciate some of the brief percussion solo in the middle. I only wish that the singer had gotten more attention and love in the charts than she did.


Back in my first article on Tsuyuzaki, I mentioned that one of my students had informed me back in the late 1990s that her buddy was actually the singer herself and that she was off to see one of her gigs. Wouldn't it have been quite the experience if I had actually gotten the chance to witness Tsuyuzaki myself? Well, I never got that opportunity but as a consolation, I did end up buying her August 1998 album "Believe Yourself", and on that album is "End of Eternity". Created by Manami Fujino, A. Bagge and H. Sommerdahl, it's a ballad that did remind me of Mariah Carey, something that I also stated in that first article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.