Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, September 12, 2020

KAN -- Daijoubu I'M ALL RIGHT(だいじょうぶI'M ALL RIGHT)



Have you ever said or done something to someone close to you that you ferociously regretted and ended up in a fetal position? Miyuki Shirogane of "Kaguya-sama" fame does and he feels your pain as do I.


Another person who does? Apparently, singer-songwriter KAN. In fact, he whipped a song about it as his 3rd single, "Daijoubu I'M ALL RIGHT" (the word and its translation are right in the title). Released in June 1988, it's all about a fellow who unfortunately jumped the gun through wrong assumptions and ended up kissing a young lady when it was perhaps a smidgen too early in the timing. Ouch! Said lady is flabbergasted, embarrassed and a little mad as is the poor guy who slinks back home, insisting that he'll be fine...he's entirely sorry and he'll just head on back to his apartment, thank you very much. He will now be spending the rest of the pleasant evening repeatedly smashing his cranium on the wall. Such is life, love and interior design.

It's a sad story but I have to admit that I love KAN's melody which got some further arranging help from Akihiko Matsumoto(松本晃彦). I believe that this is only the second article on KKP about KAN before his big break with "Ai wa Katsu"(愛は勝つ)in 1990. Nikala wrote the first, "BRACKET", and I think that more of his earlier stuff should be given further perusal.

I mentioned in "Ai wa Katsu" that KAN was a big admirer of Billy Joel, and I think that "Daijoubu I'M ALL RIGHT" has some of the Piano Man's pop sense, especially through his songs "Movin' Out", "My Life" and "You May Be Right". KAN may have even been using some of Joel's vocal effects from "Movin' Out" right at the very end of the song. Just listen, enjoy and commiserate. By the way, "Daijoubu I'M ALL RIGHT" is also available on his 3rd album released at the same time as the single, "Girl To Love" which peaked at No. 86.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.