Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, April 15, 2022

Masayuki Suzuki feat. Suu -- GIRI GIRI

 

Well, we knew from about a year ago that the third season of "Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai"(かぐや様は告らせたい...Kaguya-sama: Love is War), aka "Ultra Romantic"(ウルトラロマンティック), was on its way which got all of the fans nicely simmering for several months. Then as the date drew near, the trailer for Season 3 appeared which displayed the usual nuttiness among the characters although there will be the inevitable dramatic episode. And then, the final piece made its presence known a few weeks ago, and that was the necessary Masayuki Suzuki(鈴木雅之)opening theme. The scuttlebutt has been in place that it wouldn't be a "Kaguya-sama" show without the golden vocals from The King of Love Songs.


OK, now, for the sake of total transparency, when I did hear "GIRI GIRI" with Martin and featured performer Sumire Yoshida(吉田菫), aka Suu(すぅ), of the band Silent Siren, for the first time at the beginning of April, I have to admit that I had been a little underwhelmed. I'm not sure what it was but it didn't quite hit right with me like the first opener "Love Dramatic" and "DADDY! DADDY! DO!" did right from the get-go. However, happily (and I figured that it would do so), "GIRI GIRI" has grown on me quickly over the past few weeks, especially seeing the opening credits for Season 3.

Moreover, it certainly appears that I was in the minority when it came to first reactions. Anyways, it's Martin and this time Suu blasting out the soul and funk once more to get folks into their happy dancing place. And as has been the case with the other two openers, it's Ikimonogakari(いきものがかり)leader Yoshiki Mizuno(水野良樹)handling words and music with Akimitsu Honma(本間昭光)arranging everything. I can reassure everyone that the catchiness is back in me and I'm even happier since this time, the full song, which has suddenly proliferated like cherry blossoms in Tokyo in March on YouTube, has a cool sax solo.


According to Suzuki's official YouTube channel which has the music video with him and Suu below, "GIRI GIRI" is available for download as of today. The CD single won't be ready until June 8th. Regardless the fans are funking it up now.


2 comments:

  1. It's a great song. People might love Daddy Daddy Do more but in my opinion both is amazing. I read in the comment section for the MV, people kind of not liking the chemistry between the two. Also, I'm curious why did they put the MV in Martin's channel instead of Sony Music Japan like Daddy Daddy Do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Qzr. Not sure why the music video was placed into Martin's channel...could be one of those logistical/corporate legal things that I have no idea about.

      I think it's gonna be one of those happy debates among Kaguya/Martin fans about which one of the three they like more. My friend will always go with "Love Dramatic" while I prefer "Daddy Daddy Do", and I've read that "Giri Giri" is the new standard-bearer for others. They're all great and it would be like choosing which among my favourite flavours of ice cream (chocolate, strawberry, rum raisin) is my absolute favourite and which is my least favourite.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.