Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, April 8, 2022

Masayuki Suzuki -- Watashi no Onegai(私の願い)

 

Yup, I know...the opening episode of the third season of the "Kaguya-sama" series, "Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai ~ Ultra Romantic"(かぐや様は告らせたい-ウルトラロマンティック-)has just appeared to everyone's joy and anticipation. Of course, that means that we get another Masayuki Suzuki(鈴木雅之) (sorta) spectacular in the opening theme "GIRI GIRI", but I'll get back to that song at a future date.

(14:14)

Instead for today, I'll go with Martin's 8th single from December 1989, "Watashi no Onegai" (My Request). This was released right after his big hit of "Wakare no Machi"(別れの街), my own introduction to the cool J-R&B crooner, and as with that single, Off-Course's(オフコース)Kazumasa Oda(小田和正)wrote, composed, arranged and provided backup chorus for this ballad.

The song may sound very elegiac but luckily, going through Oda's lyrics, Suzuki actually sings about being devoted to his one and only love and asks that she do the same. I can imagine that this could squeeze out quite a few tears at a wedding reception, especially with that Martin delivery. I don't know how the song did on Oricon, but it's included on his 3rd solo album "Dear Tears" from September 1989 which peaked at No. 14.

Well, I namedropped him on my previous article, Yume Suzuki's(鈴木結女)"NITE FLITE", and I figure that there was nothing wrong with mentioning another Suzuki on the same day, so why not do a Martin article?

2 comments:

  1. Great song.. First time hearing through his "Dolce" concert. Almost made me cry even though I didn’t understand the lyric. Everything about that concert is actually amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Qzr. Yep, I'm hoping that the "Kaguya-sama" fans have also been realizing that his past music is also really good. However if he does show up for a third consecutive time on the Kohaku this year, I hope that he can perform a medley of those "Kaguya" openings.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.