Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Asami Kobayashi -- Suna ni Kieta Namida (砂に消えた涙)

 

Happy Easter to everyone! I no longer have those huge chocolate bunnies or Easter eggs anymore due to concerns over my health, but the family got together last night to partake in a tofu matcha cheesecake. It was definitely the lightest cheesecake that I've ever had.


(excerpt only)

My first KKP article today deals with a cover of a song that had started out being recorded by the Italian singer Mina in 1964 as "Un buco nella sabbia" but was brought over to Japan to be given Japanese lyrics by Kenji Sazanami(漣健児)and then released by The Peanuts under the title "Suna ni Kieta Namida"(砂に消えた涙...Tears In The Sand) in 1965. I'd actually written about the song several years ago and it has been covered a bunch of times after that by folks such as Yukari Ito(伊東ゆかり).

Not too long ago, I also discovered that one of those covers of "Suna ni Kieta Namida" had been done by singer-actress-model Asami Kobayashi(小林麻美)very early in her career. Her take is located on her February 1973 debut album "Ochiba no Melody"(落葉のメロディー...Melody of the Fallen Leaves), and while it retains that wistful 1960s pop ballad feeling that would bring to mind to a kayo-obsessed fellow like me singers such as Mariya Takeuchi(竹内まりや)and Eiichi Ohtaki(大滝詠一), Kobayashi's take also has that typically early 1970s aidoru let's-go-catch-some-butterflies innocent arrangement, thanks to the flute and strings. For those folks (also like myself) who've known her for doing that haunting cover of Gazebo's "I Like Chopin" a decade later, it's been quite the revelation.

1 comment:

  1. Uh, Brian. It's me, J-Canuck. It's not my first KKP article ever, it was just my first KKP article for yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.