Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, April 7, 2022

Walküre -- Ikenai Borderline(いけないボーダーライン)

 


This is a slightly irregular approach for this particular tune but if you can bear with me. I was doing a bit of adjusting last night on an old 2015 article featuring "Futari no Kimochi no Honto no Himitsu" (ふたりのきもちのほんとのひみつ), the ending theme for the nutty anime "Kill Me Baby", and as I was doing so, I noticed at the right side of YouTube that there was another song from another anime, and something told me that I should give it a shot. Instinct has led me to many a great tune in the past on the blog, so I did as I was inspired.


Instinct...I owe you a Big Mac set! I heard "Ikenai Borderline" (The Borderline You Don't Cross) and was automatically smitten by the really bouncy ska beat and the feeling that this could have been the theme song for a really action-packed anime.

Well, I wasn't too far off the mark. This was actually Track 3 on the debut single for the fictional aidoru group, Walküre(ワルキューレ), on the 2016 anime "Macross Delta"(マクロスΔ). And sure enough, that single was "Ichido dake no Koi nara/Rune ga Pikatto Hikattara"(一度だけの恋なら/ルンがピカッと光ったら...If It's a One-Time Love/When the Rune Sparkles) whose second song was one that I covered back in 2019. "Rune ga Pikatto Hikattara" was also one banger of a tune whose spiritual ancestor happens to be one of my favourite songs of all time, "September" by Earth Wind & Fire.


As was the case with that song, "Ikenai Borderline" was also created by lyricist Naoki Nishi(西直紀)and composer Minoru Komorita(コモリタミノル). This time, it's actress JUNNA as Mikumo on lead vocals with the rest of Walküre on backing vocals.


This video only came up in the last 48 hours or so and that is because the album only came out in the last 24. Yup, on April 6th, "Macross Yonjuu Shuunen Kinen Korabo Album Deculture!! Mixture!!!!!"(マクロス40周年記念コラボアルバム デカルチャー!! ミクスチャー!!!!!...Macross 40th Anniversary Collaborative Album) was released, and a cover of "Ikenai Borderline" is included as sung by seiyuu May'n and Megumi Nakajima(中島愛)as their characters Sheryl Nome and Ranka Lee respectively.

1 comment:

  1. I also caught the "Robotech" series as a teen which led me to "Macross". I've been hearing that the franchise as a whole has had its ups and downs, and I don't know how "Macross Delta" fared in terms of reputation but I can't deny the music in it has been darn catchy.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.