Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, April 15, 2022

J-Canuck's Taxi Songs

 

It's a good Good Friday Friday! I'm gonna be beginning with something more whimsical today, starting with an old and popular American sitcom that was broadcast on ABC from the late 1970s into the early 1980s. "Taxi" was a show that I dipped into now and then, although I never became a dedicated fan. Being one of the classic ensemble TV comedies, I marvel at the cast since almost all of them have gone onto even bigger and perhaps better projects including sci-fi phenomena such as "Star Trek", "Babylon 5" and "Independence Day".

However, one of the things associated with "Taxi" that has stuck with me all these years is that theme song "Angela" by jazz keyboardist and record producer Bob James (according to Wikipedia, a lot of the material on his first several albums were sampled, leading to the formation of hip hop). I mean, my impression was that a theme for a New York-based show called "Taxi" would be all brassy and/or funky and in-your-face, but instead the producers opted for this much slower and calming fusion tune featuring sax, Fender Rhodes and what sounds like an innocent ocarina. I gather that it was this juxtaposition that has enabled me to remember and cherish the sitcom a lot better.

Well, I've decided then that I would come up with this article on the various taxi-based Japanese pop songs that I had already written about over the decade of "Kayo Kyoku Plus", just as a summary and a reflection of how there are probably plenty of other cab kayo out there (including ones that I've completely forgotten about but exist on the blog).

Yuiko Tsubokura -- Taxi Driver (1990)

(Night Tempo remix)

Getting this one up onto the blog a few nights ago was the impetus for this particular article. As I mentioned in that one, Tsubokura's cover of the Aran original is a fair bit mellower, although of course, Night Tempo's version jazzes it up some more. Good for that night time drive home.

Tomoko Aran -- Taxi Driver (1985)


I thought having the original just below Tsubokura's cover would make it easier for comparative listening. Good for that night time drive into town.

Miho Nakayama -- Midnight Taxi (1990)


When I was thinking about putting up this list, I knew that I had to get Miporin's "Midnight Taxi" up here because of its overall sophisti-pop feeling. This is the night taxi ride with class.

Kiyomi Suzuki with Rats & Star -- TAXI (1987)


Along with Nakayama's "Midnight Taxi", Kiyomi Suzuki's "TAXI" with her brother's group also has its class but it comes with some additional soulful goodness.

Yurie Kokubu -- Tobashite Taxi Man(とばしてTaxi Man)(1983)


As with Aran's "Taxi Driver", "Tobashite Taxi Man" has more of that feeling of heading giddily into Party Central rather than sleepily heading home in the metal chariot.

Yumi Arai -- Chuo Freeway(中央フリーウェイ)(1976)


I would consider Arai's classic "Chuo Freeway" more of an honourary member of the taxi list since according to her lyrics, it's pretty obvious that the ride home is a personal one with a couple of lovers in the front of the car. But the whole idea for "Chuo Freeway" came from Yuming's feeling of freedom and quiet satisfaction of being driven home when work got a little too late...something that I can relate to as well. Perhaps it was a staffer driving her back or even that cab.

Because when compared to the usual more inexpensive subway or train fare, I didn't take the taxi all that frequently during my time in the Tokyo area. It was only when I missed that last train home that I would brave the lineup to catch a cab. I never had a particularly thrilling or terrifying taxi ride home but that was due to the fact that taxi service was extremely professional with the uniformed drivers providing the same reassuring ride anywhere in town. Maybe that's why the songs that I've mentioned on the taxi list here have that seemingly extra-thick layer of romanticism and anticipation swaddling listeners/riders. However with the relatively recent rise in the love for Japanese City Pop around the planet, I can imagine that tourists may come with that layer as they ride from Haneda or Narita into Tokyo, although the price might turn them off if they arrive at the latter airport. Meanwhile, the drivers might end up wondering why their fares are so excited over a simple taxi ride.😁


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.