Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

pas de chat -- Stop it!

 

Last fall, I introduced another group that singer-songwriter Miho Fujiwara(藤原美穂)had been associated with in the 1990s, and that was pas de chat which put out a couple of albums in 1993 and 1994. That second album "pas de chat 2 ~ Deux" contained "Nijuu-ni-ban-me no Kuchibeni"(22番目の口紅), a bouncy urban contemporary number with a bit of New Jack Swing.

This time though, I'm diving into pas de chat's 1993 album "pas de chat" and I found "Stop it!". In comparison with "Nijuu-ni-ban-me no Kuchibeni", "Stop it!", which resides on Fujiwara's own YouTube channel, is a little more esoteric in its influences. With lyrics by Fujiwara and music by her partner Masahito Nakano(中野雅仁), I pick up on the airier and odder choices of sophisticated pop groups such as The Style Council and Swingout Sister, and for some reason, I get tingles of Japanese synthpop duo PSY-S. Maybe to stretch out the analogies to breaking point, "Stop it!" could be the duo's efforts in making a beatnik tone poem and then filtering it through 1990s dance beats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.