Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, May 9, 2020

Eiichi Ohtaki -- Sore wa Boku janai yo(それはぼくじゃないよ)


The last time I wrote an article on Eiichi Ohtaki(大滝詠一)was back on March 22nd for his December 1971 solo debut single "Koi no Kisha Poppo"(恋の汽車ポッポ). At the time, COVID-19 was still preventing us from seeing the light at the end of the dark tunnel, but now about 6 weeks later, although I realize that this insidious virus won't truly depart until the vaccine is created, there are signs that though we're not out of the woods, perhaps the Toronto train is partially out of that tunnel at least. Our provincial premier has announced this afternoon that parks can now be opened (but not campgrounds) and if we're living close to them, we can visit those ones.


So, perhaps it's appropriate that I provide the B-side to "Koi no Kisha Poppo", "Sore wa Boku janai yo" (That's Not Me). The same fellows behind that song were also behind this one, lyricist Takashi Matsumoto(松本隆)and Ohtaki as the composer. Unlike the rock beat of Side A, "Sore wa Boku janai yo" has a more languid country-folk vibe as Ohtaki sings about appreciatively observing a lover while asleep in the morning. It's kinda too bad that I never put up a Country category in Labels; I think it's so country (thank you, steel pedal guitar) that I see a lot of blue grass and hay bales out in my mind.

If I ever get back out to Japan in the next couple of years, I may want to get on an old-fashioned train, just like the one Ohtaki is riding on the cover of the single. Would be nice to really get a look outside of Tokyo while I have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.