Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, May 15, 2020

Polkadot Stingray -- JET

From Wikipedia

Here I thought that when I first heard the band Polkadot Stingray(ポルカドットスティングレイ), I assumed that the members just threw together a couple of unrelated words on the Scrabble board. Fortunately, contributor T-cat set me right a few years ago when he provided the first article for the band on KKP via their "Telecaster Stripe". The animal does exist!


Listening to "Telecaster Stripe", which was their 3rd single from March 2016, I got that thrashing guitar rock immediately, and it was no wonder since vocalist and songwriter Shizuku(雫)was a big fan of Ringo Shiina(椎名林檎). As Shiina has evolved since those early days at the turn of the century, I think Polkadot Stingray may have also changed, at least according to their most recent single, their 4th digital download from March 2020, "JET".

There's less thrash and quite a bit more groove and jazz in "JET" to the extent that I had to check over "Telecaster Stripe" once more just to make sure that I did indeed have the right band. However for me, Shizuku has some of that softer-edged Ringo in her vocals. I've yet to check out some of their other songs over the years but if any of you have any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.