Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, October 31, 2022

For All You Cosplayers Out There....

 

Continuing on with today's Halloween theme, I started thinking about all of those cosplayers out there. I mean, I know that cosplaying has never been restricted to October 31st, but it is on that night that cosplayers can really go full out into the city at large instead of just cosplayer functions such as a ComiCon. Incidentally, yes, that is indeed a lady pretending to be Yuki Mori from the Space Cruiser Yamato. I took the photo at the Tokyo Anime Fair at Tokyo Big Sight back in 2009.

So, I thought what if I could give some tribute to those cosplayers and Halloween in general through my own Author's Picks of songs connected with costumes that I have seen such as the yellow-and-black uniform that I see on the aforementioned young lady above? As for me, I've been in costume but just for Halloween, and one costume that I did wear was the gold uniform for Captain Kirk way back when.

Isao Sasaki -- The Theme from Space Cruiser Yamato (宇宙戦艦ヤマト) (1974)


All these years, I've only seen folks in the Yuki Mori uniform, but I have yet to witness anyone in the other male crewmembers' uniforms. I have also never seen anyone dressed as good ol' Captain Okita.

Dali -- Moonlight Densetsu (ムーンライト伝説) (1992)


In the few times that I did attend Fan Expo in downtown Toronto last decade, I always saw a Sailor Moon(セーラームーン)and a few of her fellow Sailors traipse about in the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. In fact, I'd say that it wouldn't be a Fan Expo without Sailor Moon.

Yoko Takahashi -- Zankoku na Tenshi no Tehze (残酷な天使のテーゼ) (1995)


I can't be absolutely sure that I actually saw anyone dressed up as Rei Ayanami or Asuka Soryu either in Japan or Toronto, but I believe that it's a given that have been cosplayers who were more than happy to dress up in their getups...and there were folks who were happy to see them dress up in their getups. Just ask Kohei.

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu -- Crazy Party Night ~ Pumpkin no Gyakushuu(ぱんぷきんの逆襲) (2015)


Kyary Pamyu Pamyu(きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅ)did come to the Art Gallery of Ontario to perform a few nights there, but I never got the opportunity to go. I could probably say that she was the first cosplaying singing star that I ever saw.

Masato Shimon -- Let's Go! Rider Kick! (1971)


This last one here is for the fact that my brother wore a Kamen Rider(仮面ライダー)costume for trick or treat when he was a very small kid back when we were living downtown. He may have scared one resident out of her wits, but she may have had a phobia against insects.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.