Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, October 14, 2022

SHE IS SUMMER -- Moonlight

 

Nope, nope, nope. This won't be an article on a song from "Uchuu Senkan Yamato"(宇宙戦艦ヤマト). The only reason that I've got the legendary anime battleship-turned-space cruiser up here is that the subject album is titled "Wave Motion". Every time I hear those two words, my memories go back to my junior high school days when the dubbed version of the show was imported to Canada and the United States under the title "Star Blazers"

"Star Blazers" quickly gained favour with us nerds especially when we knew that there would be an episode in which the Argo would be firing off its most potent weapon: the Wave Motion Gun. It was the race getting home to catch the episode on the Buffalo affiliate station WUTV. Even watching the above scene again decades later had my blood racing once more.

But as I said, this isn't about a "Yamato" song. Instead, I turn our attention to singer-songwriter MICO in her SHE IS SUMMER project. The Kobe native released three full albums under this incarnation and from her 2nd album "Wave Motion" from November 2019, here is the track "Moonlight". When I put up my first article about the singer via her 2018 "Ai ni Ikanakucha"(会いに行かなくちゃ), my impression was that she was providing a sweet synthpop song with beats. However, the underlying rhythm for "Moonlight" seems to be more about Neo-City Pop especially with the beefy bass in there.

From what I've read on MICO's J-Wiki article, the SHE IS SUMMER project came to a close in April 2021. Not sure what she's up to now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.