Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, October 28, 2022

Mari Nakamoto -- Never Too Late/TV

 

I am savoring the above photo of Takashimaya Times Square that I took from the south side of the sidewalk across from the southern exit of JR Shinjuku Station because that view no longer exists. In the thirteen years since this shot was taken, a huge bus terminal rose up from the concrete to obliterate that view. Mind you, there's a chance that a nice view can be had from one of the higher floors of the terminal building overlooking TTS. Having visited there many times, I didn't really buy stuff at Takashimaya Department Store, except for the scrumptious goodies in the basement food floors. I frequented the adjoining Tokyu Hands (apparently now called Hands as of this writing) and Kinokuniya Bookstore far more.

For this article, I'm going to go for a twofer regarding this singer because she has shown off such versatility. I'm talking about jazz singer Mari Nakamoto(中本マリ), and I first mentioned her several years ago in a KKP piece regarding a technopop version of a Japanese take on an old classic "Lover, Come Back to Me" that she did on Fuji-TV's "Music Fair" with Yellow Magic Orchestra

However, I will be starting off with her "Never Too Late" from her 1982 album "Moods of a Lady". It's not jazz...it's AOR and a really lovely example of it, thanks to songwriter Barry Miles. The bossa fusion arrangement is so comforting and familiar for a guy like me who's been hitting those AOR compilations hard. For that matter, I can imagine singers such as Al Jarreau and Bobby Caldwell tackling this one like a medium-rare steak. Get me that Perrier, right now!

Two years following "Moods of a Lady", Nakamoto released her next album, "TV", which was produced by jazz keyboardist and songwriter Don Grusin who is the co-founder of GRP Records. This album went for a change in style as it went more for a technopop fusion as you can hear from the first and title track. For a guy like me who was listening to the contemporary stuff on the radio back in those 1980s, "TV" sounds like what was hitting the charts back then with all of those synthesizers in the throes of synthpop and New Wave. Hearing her sing "TV", I can just imagine Nakamoto looking very mod 80s with those angular wide shoulders and dagger-like blush on her cheeks.

Next time, I'll really have to check out her jazz tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.