Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Kome Kome Club -- Paradise

 

Well, I was taking stock of my CD singles (i.e., dusting them off) when I came across the above chestnut for the first time in a long while. It happens to be the March 1989 re-release of the CD single "Paradise" by flamboyant band Kome Kome Club(米米CLUB). I know that to be true since when looking it up on J-Wiki, I found out that the 1989 version has "Sure Danse" as the coupling song which is the case with my own copy. The original April 1987 release, though, has a B-side or coupling song known as "Parodies".

Anyways, enough of the technical stuff. "Paradise" is another uptempo tune by K2C about wanting to get some of that youth back or as the lyrics (and the music) by the band state more accurately, to return to that golden time of youth and debauchery. The video seems to be half-performance and half-dream of leader and vocalist Tatsuya Ishii(石井竜也)as a middle-aged man in a cardigan getting kicked to all sorts of places, none of which look particularly like paradise. But I digress.

Horns and vocals and chorus are in fine fettle, and I've been reading a number of Japanese comments under the video whose readers profess their love for "Paradise". Considering what the late 80s were for many Japanese, I could imagine them using the song as their theme song. The original 1987 song reached No. 19 on Oricon while my 1989 CD peaked at a more modest No. 65.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.