Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra -- HAMMERHEAD

 

I heard about this terrifying movie about a shark called "JAWS" when I wasn't even a teenager yet at the time, and I knew that this wasn't a movie that I was going to see or even want to see. The poster and John Williams' genius minimalist two notes were enough to keep me and millions of viewers out of the water for years to come. I finally did see it on VHS tape much later (accompanied by a cushion) and I still shiver at that infamous scene of "something" popping out to greet Richard Dreyfuss underwater.

So iconic was the "JAWS" theme that Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra lifted those two famous notes and injected them into their creation "HAMMERHEAD", a track on their 30th anniversary album "Tsugihagi Colorful"(ツギハギカラフル...Patchwork Colorful) released in November 2019. Yup, I know that it wasn't a hammerhead shark that was attacking the citizenry in the waters off of Amity Island, but hey, it's still a shark.

A feisty instrumental number created by band trumpeter NARGO, there's nothing horror about "HAMMERHEAD". It's simply another dance-friendly and hit-the-floor running song with Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra leading the way, and a lot of the members have their solo time on the instruments. It even sounds like a theme tune for a secret agent with that very name. As for "Tsugihagi Colorful", it peaked at No. 5 on Oricon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.