Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, October 15, 2022

Kawai Fujii -- Hitoyo Momo Iro(一夜桃色)

 

When I first encountered this song called "Hitoyo Momo Iro" by singer Kawai Fujii(藤井香愛)some months ago, that title reminded me of another tune from a few decades prior. Mariko Takahashi's(高橋真梨子)"Momo Iro Toiki"(桃色吐息)was probably that singer's biggest hit, although there are other tunes by her that I've enjoyed much more. Still, one thing that was niggling at me was the "momo iro"(桃色)part which translates as "peach-coloured". Both songs are treated as love ballads, but I've never associated peach with love.

However, when I looked up Jisho.org, I found out that "momo iro" can also refer to "pink" which has been associated with love and sex in Japan. Then I scrolled down further and saw the expression "momo iro yuugi"(桃色遊戯)which is translated as "sex play". Personally, my safety word will always remain "apples". 🍎😍

Regardless, "Hitoyo Momo Iro", which I guess can be translated as "One Night of Passion", is Fujii's 4th and most recent single which was released in January 2022. Written by Neko Oikawa(及川ネコ)and composed by Kohei Miyuki(幸耕平), Fujii tenderly philosophizes about love and that night. The arrangement by Masayuki Sakamoto(坂本昌之)has that light and wistful Mood Kayo or perhaps a Neo-Kayo, somewhat reminiscent of some of the songs that enka singer Sachiko Kobayashi(小林幸子)had been singing back in the 1980s. "Hitoyo Momo Iro" peaked at No. 14 on Oricon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.