Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, June 29, 2023

Miki Imai -- Watashi wa Anata no Sora ni Naritai(私はあなたの空になりたい)

 

I've always wondered about titles in Japanese songs where the sky was concerned. In addition to the topic of this article, I was reminded of Mariko Takahashi's(高橋真梨子)1979 classic "Anata no Sora wo Tobitai" (あなたの空を翔びたい...I Want to Soar in Your Sky). There don't seem to be such expressions of love in that form in English, so the best I can speculate is that it could mean "I want to be yours" or "I want to be with you".

As I said, this article is on "Watashi wa Anata no Sora ni Naritai" (I Want to Be Your Sky) which was Miki Imai's(今井美樹)14th single from November 1997. It was truly a husband-and-wife love ballad with Tomoyasu Hotei(布袋寅泰)composing the tune while Imai created the lyrics. The song weaves in style between a simple romantic fireplace pop song and a late Beatles type of production, perhaps in a baroque pop fashion.

Oooh...there's even a jazz arrangement for it that she did at the Blue Note! Marvelous! Anyways, I had thought that "Watashi wa Anata no Sora ni Naritai" was a theme song for a typically romance-filled J-Drama, but actually it was the ending theme for late-night TBS news broadcast "News 23". The song hit No. 32 on Oricon, and it was termed a double A-side CD with its "partner" being the Christmas tune "Shiro no Waltz"(白のワルツ).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.