Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, June 30, 2023

paris match -- Nemurenai Kanashii Yoru nara(眠れない悲しい夜なら)

Wikipedia

Like most folks, I sometimes didn't want to cook anything at home when I was living in Ichikawa, Chiba. In that case, I was more than happy to call up the neighbourhood Domino's Pizza and have an eight-slicer delivered...often the Giga Meat which I could disturbingly devour with ease back then. But when I was with my school and the staff was getting rather peckish, they would also call in for pizza and for the sake of variety, the quattro would be ordered with four 90-degree wedges with different toppings. It is there that I discovered the distinctly Japanese tastes such as jaga-mayo and chicken teriyaki. They were all good.


So, just like a Pavlovian dog, when I saw the cover for paris match's June 2003 4th album "Quattro" (yes, I know what it means in Italian), my mind went to all things pizza. However, the opening track "Nemurenai Kanashii Yoru nara" (If It's a Sad Sleepless Night) is of course more nutritious for my ears because of course, it's paris match. Written by Tai Furusawa(古澤大)and composed by Yosuke Sugiyama(杉山洋介), it's the usual sophisticated pop/jazz with some cool funkiness that we've come to expect from the band. Those hopeful lyrics by Furusawa relate the reassurances by one fellow that he'll come and help out his paramour if there's the slightest bit of trouble or insomnia. Maybe the lass ingested too much of that quattro pizza.

But seriously, this is a cool song for the sultry summer days and in spite of the hint of night, the rhythm and those lovely horns feel more like a fun time out during broad daylight...just like the cover of "Quattro" itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.