Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, June 16, 2023

I Re'in For Re'in -- Mystery Girl(ミステリー・ガール)

 

The last time I wrote about the always interestingly named band I Re'in For Re'in(アイリーン・フォーリーン), it was for "Byakuya"(白夜), a song from their 1988 album "Body & Voice". I learned that I Re'in For Re'in ran the gamut between rock and City Pop, and with "Byakuya", there was something about that number which could have prefaced all of those Being Inc. tunes by bands like DEEN and WANDS.

Well, going back to their early days, I've found this track in their debut album "Plastic Generation"(プラスティック・ジェネレイション)from October 1985. "Mystery Girl", which was written by band members Takaaki Yasuoka(安岡孝章)and Asao Hori(堀麻夫)with Yasuoka providing the melody, doesn't particularly break the mold on City Pop but it's got some metropolitan magic going for it thanks to the keyboards along with some of the jazziness in its arrangement. It aurally feels like tripping the light fantastic all along Route 246 in Tokyo while any protagonist is probably tripping all over themselves for that mystery girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.