Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Denki Groove -- Cosmic Surfin'

 

Interestingly enough, I'm going to try and get today's (Wednesday June 28 2023) articles (or just the one) up within the last 45 minutes before we end up migrating over to Thursday. I was taking some long-awaited me time to enjoy myself downtown all day today.

Looks like I've got the coupling song to Denki Groove's(電気グルーヴ)very first single "Mud Ebis" from October 1991, and it turns out to be "Cosmic Surfin'". It happens to be a live cover (in Los Angeles) of the Yellow Magic Orchestra original from their very first album in 1978. YMO's Haruomi Hosono(細野晴臣)was behind the original.

So instead of "Cosmic Surfin'" as a technopop tribute to The Ventures, Denki Groove has gone for a more dance club approach with what sounds like House music. I also like the shoutout to Art of Noise's "Dragnet" via a very recognizable quote, and did I hear a familiar rat-a-tat of the drums from YMO's version of "Tighten Up"? It's always interesting to listen to a band's early output for comparison.

Yup, it's gonna be just the one tonight. See you on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.