Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Shigeharu Mukai & Astrud Gilberto -- Nos Dois

 

Rather sad news that I found out about from the Mixi news feed, but Brazilian singer-songwriter Astrud Gilberto, a lady for whom the Japanese reporter described as The Queen of Bossa Nova, passed away yesterday at the age of 83. Gilberto has a file here on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" and deservedly so since I'm also a fan of bossa nova

Of course, one of the earliest songs that I got to listen to as a child was "The Girl from Ipanema". However, the first song that I provided regarding her came from her collaboration with Japanese jazz trombonist Shigeharu Mukai(向井滋春), "Champagne And Caviar", from their 1983 album "SO & SO ~ Mukai Meets Gilberto".

In tribute, I'm providing another track from "SO & SO", "Nos Dois" (Both of Us) which was written by Gilberto and composed by Mukai. As with "Champagne and Caviar", "Nos Dois" is another honey-coated splendid combination of the lyricist's golden cooing voice and the composer's comfortable trombone. My compliments to the pianist as well. Of course, my condolences as well to Gilberto's family, friends and fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.