Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Girls' Generation -- GALAXY SUPERNOVA



NOTE: If the video above goes down, click here for the official video.

I don’t really know why, but I never posted a song by a Korean group here, and that’s quite strange since I really like KARA, Orange Caramel, Girls’ Generation (Shoujo Jidai [少女時代] in Japan) and T-ara quite a bit. Well, to be honest, my K-Pop experience stops there, as I only like these four groups.

So, for today, here’s Girls’ Generation’s “GALAXY SUPERNOVA”, one of their exclusive Japanese singles, which was released in September 2013.

Personally, I was very happy when they released this song, because, at the time, I was not really following Korean groups anymore. I did listen to a lot of K-Pop during 2010 and 2011, but stopped in early 2012 with no apparent reasons. Metaphorically speaking, I had the biggest party of my life, but the hangover in the day after was so cruel that I had to stop for a while. What I'm trying to say is that K-Pop became too much for me. I didn't like their release system and the songs were starting to sound a little too Americanized, not in a good way. 

Although “GALAXY SUPERNOVA” wasn’t quite my comeback (a term they like to use) to the K-Pop groups, it sounded interesting enough to keep me motivated with their future, or, at least, Girls’ Generation’s future.

“GALAXY SUPERNOVA” is not a song full of nuances. Instead, it’s more like a straightforward pop song with exciting synths echoing the galaxy thing and a very catchy chorus. Vocally, the girls are what we learned to expect from Girls’ Generation, which is an overall nice performance. However, what makes this song even more interesting is the amount of ad libs from the girls, something that some music critics in Brazil likes to call the “Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey Syndrome” in pop music. All in all, even though I agree with these critics, this singing formula works in a positive manner here, as it generally does in the majority of Girls’ Generation’s songs.

About the live performance presented here, it’s a Tokyo Dome live they did after Jessica’s departure from the group in late 2014. The interesting thing here is to see how Tiffany reaches Jessica’s high notes during the “in the galaxyyyyy” interventions. She was not perfect, but it’s was very refreshing and positive to hear it live.

“GALAXY SUPERNOVA” reached #3 on the Oricon charts, selling 69,533 copies. Lyrics were written by Kami Kaoru (カミカオル), Fridolin Nordso Schjoldan, Frederik Tao Nordso Schjoldan and Martin Hoberg Hedegaard. Music and arrangement were also done by Fridolin Nordso Schjoldan, Frederik Tao Nordso Schjoldan and Martin Hoberg Hedegaard.


2 comments:

  1. Would never expect SNSD to be on this blog, haha. Great song though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought twice before posting it, hahaha. But it's one of their Japanese singles, so I think it's okay. My SNSD time is already over, but I still listen to this song eventually. Not a revolutionary one, but a solid and energetic dance-pop song.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.